Each year, Digestive Disease Week® (DDW) brings the gastrointestinal (GI) community together to exchange knowledge, formulate ideas and uncover new ways to improve the lives of those living with digestive diseases. Gastroenterologists, researchers, and other industry professionals gathered in San Diego and virtually for DDW2022® to share best practices, ground-breaking research, and industry expertise.
Following DDW2022®, Commonwealth Diagnostics International and My Total Health hosted an expert panel from the GI community for our annual Mid-Year Functional GI Trends Webinar. The live webinar broke down the biggest trends and hottest topics from the annual international meeting while also providing real-life experiences and practical knowledge to improve patient care.
The expert gastroenterologist panel included:
- Dr. Andrea Shin | Indiana University
- Dr. Hetal Karsan | Atlanta Gastroenterology Associates
- Dr. Anthony Hobson | The Functional Gut Clinic (UK)
The webinar was moderated by:
- Dr. Brennan Spiegel | Cedars-Sinai
- Craig Strasnick | Commonwealth Diagnostics International & My Total Health
The recording for the webinar is now available as well as additional resources presented by the panelists during the discussion:
Highlights from our Expert GI Panel
- Dr. Shin spoke about irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) pathophysiology, including characteristics to subsegment IBS patients and how detailed patient history and data can help create a personalized approach to diagnosis and treatment for patients with DGBIs.
- Dr. Hobson discussed care pathways for functional GI patients and those with digestive health ailments. The shift towards value-based care was also discussed as part of a follow-up question.
- Dr. Karsan provided input on dietary therapies and other non-pharmacological treatments for functional GI disorders.
- All speakers weighed in on the latest digital therapeutics and new technology advancements in the industry that they are keeping a close eye on, including a vibrating pill, app-based programming for the treatment of IBS, virtual reality, and more.
- All speakers also explored the stigma of functional GI disorders in GI education and the need to create an enriched pool of resources for GI trainees to tap into in order to best educate themselves and better manage patients with functional GI cases.
Webinar Recording Guide
0:00 Welcome and Moderator Intros
2:25 Panelist Intros
4:20 Moderator Remarks on DDW2022 by Dr. Spiegel
5:45 Pathophysiology of IBS and Subsegments of IBS Patients (Dr. Shin)
10:58 Follow Up Question on Management of DGBIs (Dr. Shin)
13:35 Care Pathways for Digestive Health (Dr. Hobson)
17:32 Follow Up Question on Value-Based Care (Dr. Hobson)
20:30 Moderator Remarks on Biomarkers by Dr. Spiegel
22:30 Approach to Dietary Therapy (Dr. Karsan)
25:25 Follow Up Discussion on Exercise (Dr. Spiegel/Dr. Karsan)
27:30 Digital Therapeutics & Technological Advancements (All)
38:21 State of GI: Stigma and Training on DGBIs (All)
52:00 Moderator Recap by Dr. Spiegel
55:46 Audience Question on defining Functional GI Disorder (All)
58:55 Audience Question on IBS Protocols (All)
1:01:54 Wrap-Up & Thank You’s