CDI is proud to announce it will sponsor an upcoming Dietitian Deep Dive on Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO). Nationally recognized dietitians Kate Scarlata, MPH, RDN, LDN, and Erin Judge, RDN, LDN, CPT, will lead the 3-part SIBO Workshop Series.
Registration is now open for the live versions of the SIBO series, which will take place:
- July 13, 2021, from 7-8 pm EST
- July 20, 2021, from 7-8 pm EST
- July 27, 2021, from 7-8 pm EST
The Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) has approved this program for three continuing education credits for the 3-part series for dietitians.
The comprehensive, interactive educational program is designed to provide the latest science and research and will include a guest appearance from SIBO expert and gastroenterologist Mark Pimentel, M.D., who will take part in a session 2 Q&A with updates on hot off the press research straight from the Digestive Disease Week® (DDW®) 2021 meeting.
The cost for the workshop is $99 for all three sessions, allowing accessibility for dietitians and healthcare providers at all levels. The program will be recorded and available on-demand. Register here.
Here is a recap of what the workshop will provide:
First session: SIBO primer: What it is + How to Treat
- A review of the epidemiology and risk factors for SIBO, symptomatology, how to test for this condition, the impact of different microbial produced gases (hydrogen, methane, hydrogen sulfide) on gut motility and GI manifestations, plus possible nutritional manifestations.
- After this session, attendees will be provided three peer-reviewed articles on SIBO to review before session 2.
Second session: Research Updates in SIBO
- 30-minute Q&A on research updates with gastroenterologist and SIBO expert Mark Pimentel.
- 20-30-minute article review updates with Scarlata and Judge.
- Review of current breath testing options along with recently published data on the types of microbes associated with SIBO and potential therapeutic approaches to treatment.
- Review the importance of a multi-disciplinary approach to care.
- After this session, you will receive two peer-reviewed articles on SIBO.
Third session: SIBO: Practical nutrition intervention and clinical pearls
- Review of diets marketed to patients for this condition and common pitfalls for them.
- Review the potential benefit of reducing fermentable carbohydrates and which patients would be appropriate candidates for this approach.
- Detail the potential risks in these patients and appropriate treatments for malnutrition, disordered eating, and potential barriers related to best nutrition practices due to social determinants of health.
About Commonwealth Diagnostics International, Inc. (CDI):
Commonwealth Diagnostics International, Inc. (CDI) is an innovative GI health company providing industry-leading diagnostic tests and tools to help physicians identify and diagnose common sources of digestive distress and functional gastrointestinal ailments. Focused on their patient-centric principles, their cost-effective portfolio of diagnostic products results in expedited treatment, better patient outcomes, and robust cost savings for the healthcare delivery system. Their expansive portfolio includes non-invasive at-home breath testing kits for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), Intestinal Methane Overgrowth (IMO), and carbohydrate malabsorption disorders, as well as IBSchek®, a proprietary capillary collection test for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS-D/M), and MyGIHealth, a cloud-based platform that enables patients to monitor, manage and understand their GI-related symptoms. Operating out of its CLIA-certified laboratory and as an FDA-registered, ISO 13485 certified medical device manufacturer, they pride themselves on their partnerships with industry-leading health systems, hospitals, and private practices worldwide. For more information, visit commdx.com.